Saturday, July 22, 2006

Review: Clerks II

One of these days I'll figure out how to categorize my blog entries.

A lot of reviewers don't like Kevin Smith's newest movie. In fact, one high profile critic, Joel Siegel, walked out of the press screening. Fortunately, I'm not like most reviewers. I review more based on how I enjoy the movie then on its "critical merits". That's why I liked Dukes of Hazzard, though to be honest my generosity in rating it was probably based on equal parts of nostalgia and alcohol.

Clerks II was laugh out loud funny, and not just for me. I don't remember the last time I heard an audience laugh this much. Is it vulgar? Eff yeah. This is not a movie I'd watch watch with the family. It's a Kevin Smith movie, and not trying to be sappy sweet like Jersey Girl (though to be honest, I do like Jersey Girl). This is Smith going back to his roots, f-bombs and all.

The movie does drag in a couple of places... it is essentially almost all dialogue. But if Kevin Smith had written the dialogue for the Star Wars prequels, they wouldn't have been as painful. The only real plot twist isn't a surprise if you've seen the trailers... evilstudios and their evil trailers.

Overall, I'd rate it 4 out of 5 trenchcoat wearing flying monkeys. There's an obvious joke I could have used from the movie, but once you see it you'll also know why I didn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home