Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Snowed In

Yesterday we had crappy weather... snow, sleet, snow, ice, and snow. Down by my work it was more of the sllet and ice and less snow, but at home it was more snow. When I managed to get home, my car got stuck in the driveway and I had to shovel the drive to bring the car into the garage. In prep for this morning, I shovelled again before going to bed. Even with continued snowfall, I figured I'd still be able to manage.

THis morning I woke up and looked out at my drive. Despite the huge drift in front of my door, the drive itself looked to have about 4". Totally driveable. Proud of my foresight for shovelling the night before, I got ready for work and pulled the car out of the garage. Backing down the drive was no problem... the snow that was there was fairly powdery. Then I hit the street.

Actually, I hit an inch or two over the street. My cul-de-sac had not been plowed, so my car bottomed out. I was stuck at home.


I tried a couple of more times, to no avail. I could pull forward into the drive, but couldn't get more than half of the car into the street, and even if I could, I'd just be stuck out there.

I started shovelling. I recleared the lane in my drive and pulled the car back. Then I did something I hated to do... called off work. I mock others when they call off, and even when I'm sick I go in. But now I had no choice. Fortunately, when you almost never call in, your boss is more understanding when yo finally have to do so.

After I cleared the lane, I started on the other half of the drive, seeing as I was already out there and would need to clear the whole thing by Monday anyways. That side was harder, as snow ranged from 12 - 18" deep. I got about half of that done before my toes got really cold and I decided to come in and warm up.

One thing I noticed was that the past several months at the gym paid off. Last year shovelling this much snow for 90 minutes straight would have left me wheezing and miserable. While I feel it in my muscles, I'm not winded. And the exercise I'm getting shovelling makes me feel less guilty about missing the gym today.

Of course, I could hike about 30 - 40 minutes to the gym. Through the snow, the wind, the cold.

I don't feel that guilty.

Oh look... the neighbor across the street is stuck in his drive.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home