Tuesday, August 28, 2007

GenCon 07 - Day 4



Sunday at GenCon has a certain duality. Even though you're tired, you hate for it to end. By now you've been running on adrenaline, caffeine and sugar for three or four days, but part of you wishes it could go for another three or four days.

Some folks opt out of Sunday or make it a short day. I didn't do either.


I needed the final touches for Operation Swag, namely dice. While there were a couple of dice in there, I wanted to get a set of commemorative dice and some gaming dice. You can never have too many dice and I knew Nicole would appreciate additons to her collection, even if they were jinxed by the Oz-Curse.*

The big event for the day was the only media a-lister, Hayden Panettiere, the cheerleader from Heroes. The lines were stupid long and the security staff kept people from congregating in the aisles around her. The only way to take a picture was by "drive-by", something my camera was not well suited for (not to mention the photographer).




I cruised the XH for most of the day, looking for any last minute bargains and picking up a few things I had made mental notes to buy and snapping a few more pictures. In the course of my wanderings I spotted Aria and gave her a card with the blog address and my e-mail, explaining that since she was nice enough to pose with me the least I could do was give her the opportunity to get copies of the pictures. If nothing else, she seemed to appreciate the gesture.

I had decided to leave before closing, stopping along the way to snap a couple of pics of the "life-sized" troll in the RPGA room (the close-up is what your character would see if the troll was in an adjacent square on the map).

I made a mental excuse after dropping everything off at the car to head back into the Convention Center and found myself wandering the XH, trying to soak in the last little bit of the shared world created at GenCon. Finally the closing announcement came accompanied by a cheer from the various vendors.

A call from another friend kept my at the CC, and I met up with her and another friend and we hung out while the Con was being disassembled. Finally, rumbling stomachs and CC staff demanded that we go elsewhere, so I left geek-gestalt that is GenCon behind for another year.


Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger KNH said...

AAAHHHH! I see you touching dice! Run, everyone, RUN!

:)

Isn't Sunday a weird-feeling day? It's like the whole crowd feels exactly as you described.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home