Saturday, July 29, 2006

VA discriminates against dead Wiccan soldiers

Get this, the US Dept. of Veteran Affairs refuses, despite 9 years of requests, to allow Wiccan soldiers to have a pentacle engraves on their marker. There are 38 approved symbols, including one for atheists, but despite the fact that the military recognizes Wicca as a valid religion, the VA refuses to approve the symbol for use on military grave markers.

There are articles about it here. and here.

I have to admit that I was surprised that the Indianapolis Star featured the story prominently, given its usual conservative bent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear I think the VA just has it in for anything that is not exactly what they like. I heard about this a about a month ago. Seriously I suspect that it will take the action of a few senators to get the soldiers their requst carried out.

Which is a pity. As the paper shufflers really must know they are going to have to make these changes.

Gordon

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oz and Gordon agreesing on something*? I think the planet may be leaving orbit...


* Other than my game, of course....;-)

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home