Monday, August 23, 2010

Scott Pilgrim - Movie Review



I've been slacking on movie reviews this summer. It's not that I haven't seen any, I just suck at not getting distracted. But I had to break out of my rut to speak up for Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. In one word... awesome.

I've seen the movie twice. It's like someone took classic video games, a boy meets girl story, a dash of pop culture, then hit frappe on the blender and poured it over my dreamscape. From the Nintendo-esque take on the Universal Studios opening, you know this movie is aimed at nerds like us.


I haven't read the graphic novels, which I think is a good thing. People have complained how this or that got left out, and by not going in with a set idea of how the movie *should* be, I didn't have the baggage dragging down my geektastic enjoyment.

And I was a little bit wary of seeing Michael Cera play yet another iteration of the slightly fuddled slacker. But it totally works in this story. Plus I like that the main characters are flawed. Scott isn't the totally nice guy, and Ramona, as she put it, "dabbled in being a bitch." I think that this humanity in the middle of the surreal events keeps us engaged.

I'm sad that this movie didn't get the box office returns I think it deserves. Hopefully it will have better legs when it comes out on disc. I know I'll be buying a copy, I just need to come up with a drinking game that won't put my liver into "game over".

My rating: 5 of 5 8-bit bass-playing flying moneys.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home