Sunday, April 24, 2005

Sick kitty

Kuriko has been throwing up quite a bit over the past few weeks. She and Ryoga snubbed the healthy food I had gotten for them, so I tried some different kinds to see what she would eat the most of. While she had started eating the latest offering, I decided I had better take her to the vet. In the back of my mind, I dreaded this proposition for fear they'd find something seriously wrong with her and say she needed to be put to sleep.

I heard her throw up this afternoon, and went to clean it up. It was just a little bit, mostly spit and not food. I used a wad of toilet paper to clean it up, went to flush it, and noticed she had also thrown up by her litter box. Then I saw the blood and a black mass.

I got on the phone and found an emergency clinic. She wasn't to happy about being put in the carrier and less happy to go on a ride. We waited 40 minutes in an exam room, Kuriko alternating between fidgetting and purring.

Finally the vet came in and examined her (he had a little trouble using the stethoscope over her purring). She didn't have a fever and showed no sign of abdominal pain. The vet said leave her and they'd do some blood work and x-rays, then give me a call.

I was ok until I got in the house. I went to feed Ryoga, put half the cat food in Kuriko's bowl as usual, then lost it for a while. After I ate, I felt better, but then came the long wait for the phone call.

It finally came 2 hours later. The vet said he didn't think it was cancer (my big worry given she's about 16), that she seemed to be a little constipated (not according to the litter box), her white blood cells were a little high and she showed slightly elevated something in her digestive fluid, which led him to think it was pancreatitis (sp?). He gave me a couple of options, one of which was to bring her home and give her some oral medication or leave her there so they could give her an IV and follow up on her in the morning. I was relieved that bringing her home was even an option, but decided to have them treat her. I have to call them back in the morning to find out how things are going.

So now I wait and try to keep my mind off things while 'Ogi keeps me company.

1 Comments:

Blogger CeltiaSkye said...

I hope that everything is OK. Did they check her thyroid levels? Older cats often are hyperthyroid, it's easily treatable with medication (just ask Jeani and Jason)

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home