Thursday, October 12, 2006

Who speaks for the Middle?

At the gym, two of the channels in the bank of 8 televisions are set to CNN and Fox News. I usually have my radio set to one of these news channels... I bounce back and forth because inevitably whichever one I'm listening to will annoy me. It's usually the talking heads, who invite people from the opposite side onto their show just so that they can try to belittle them and then talk over their response.

Objective journalism my ass.


It occurred to me that I didn't know of a "moderate" news channel or media talking head. I guess "moderate" doesn't draw ratings, because being left or right means being divisive, and conflict = interesting. Moderates aren't fun because it's harder for the other side to pin down and tear down.

This whole Foley thing really shows the leanings of the news networks. CNN predicts that the Republicans will lose control of Congress, while Fox predicts that they won't and that it's all a Democrat conspiracy.

Frankly, I think Hastert needs to resign and there should be a criminal investigation. Anyone found to have been sitting on these allegations, whether it was Republicans protecting their own interests or Democrats holding it for pre-election ammo, needs to be charged to whatever extent the law allows and kicked out of Congress.

Of course, if the conspiracy theorists are right, them Osama will be found and/or killed in the next two weeks.

4 Comments:

Blogger KNH said...

I could not agree more. My parents told me that the nightly news used to have a Democrat and a Republican news anchor and that they kept each other in check. The neat thing was, they never told which side was which, so it wasn't a battle of wills: it was neutral territory.

I really am tired of all of us being hateful to each other for our differences.

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish another Ross Perot showed up, and made our two party system look silly, by getting elected.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Oz said...

Ah yes, the 1992 election. I think. That election night was the night I discovered "Green Stuff". It was the only time I've ever been cut off in a bar. My friend Marik and I were watching the election results before a game. We ended up not playing that night as Marik was the GM and we had to hold each other up to stagger back to the game club.

Yes, a viable third party candidate would rock. So would getting rid of the electoral college, IMO.

3:26 PM  
Blogger CeltiaSkye said...

Getting rid of the electoral college would be a good start but we need to do a lot more than that. I heard on the news earlier this week that the special phone line set up for pages who feel they've been sexually harassed has already received over 400 calls. I think we need to get the torches and pitchforks and storm the castle.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home