Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Kicking the MMO Habit

I've been playing MMOs (massive multi-user online games a la Everquest and World of Warcraft) for about 6 years. These games represent a massive time sink. While at GenCon, I had so much fun doing other stuff that I didn't miss my MMO. Once GenCon was over, I was kind of in a funk where nothing seemed fun, plus I didn't want to get wrapped up in case an opportunity came up to do something with friends.

The MMO Monkey on my back had been pwned.


Keep in mind that these games are designed to be addictive. Fortunately I didn't inherit the addiction gene, as by all rights I should be an alcoholic smoker. But these games do appeal to several components of my mental makeup. My work psych profile is: Strategic, Analytical, Input, Learner and Responsibility. The same things that make me good at my job cause me to enjoy a lot of aspects of MMOs.

But now it doesn't seem so appealing, because they eat up so much time. What am I doing with all of this extra time? Not a lot yet. I finished Dzur over the weekend, it looks like I'll get to the gym four times this week, I'm hoping to spend an evening painting minis with a friend, I went to a pub for my friend Weasel's 40th (hence the extra gym session... penance) and I've done a little work on some of my campaigns.

Yeah, still not so much with the housework.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, I was doing that too. It really is amazing how much TIME you get back in your life, when you pitch the MMO's.

I am planning on trying out LotRO when it comes out though.

by the way, i created an RSS feed at strayhold. If you care. :)

And you should be painting minis with TWO friends, this next time.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home