Sunday, August 24, 2008

GenCon 08 - Day 4

Sundays are always the day that folks are dragging at GenCon. Three days of sensory overload, gaming adrenaline and sleep deprivation take their toll. So when I awoke at 8 a.m. I was glad that I had exercised some self control the night before. I hurriedly got ready and headed to the ICC and joined the line mob at the XH door closest to the WotC booth.

Just before 10 we received our instructions. No running, no cutting through the artist area, and anyone that passed the "monitor" that would be leading us back to queue up at the WotC booth would be kicked out. Looking at the people in front of me, I figured even if all they had was a case of books I'd probably be okay. The doors open and we started our march.

The first three WotC employees couldn't tell me if they had any of the KOTOR books, let alone how many. Finally, after the line was organized I found a WotC staffer that knew what was going on. He told me that I was in the wrong line, but it didn't matter because they didn't have any books left.

Oz still 0.


With that, I wandered the XH checking out the closing day bargains as some of the exhibitors tried to unload merchandise so they wouldn't have to lug it home. Unfortunately, these mostly consisted of d20 3.5 books by third party vendors or defunct game systems. It's not a bargain if you'll never get around to cracking the book open.

Nicole and I attended a mini painting seminar given by a very talented young lady, Amy Brehm. I wish that I had put something next to the mini I snapped a picture of in order to show scale. The level of detail she gets is just amazing, it makes me feel like I clutch my brush in a deformed paw. Her technique was very different from what we learned in our last seminar and I look forward to giving it a try.

We returned to the XH to meet up with the Gorilla Games crew. One of them had picked up a game called Dicewords for Nicole, so she wanted to give it a try with him before the Con ended. It's actually a fun little game, especially once we figured out the scoring.

We said good-bye to the Gorilla gang, and headed out. One of the things we saw were some people in professional Marvel Super Hero costumes (a later learned they were there for the Hero Clix game and had been there the whole Con). Needless to say, Ms. Marvel was very popular. In my web-trolling for more pics, she is probably the most common subject.

Once I got back to my car and answered a couple of messages I had gotten while my phone was turned off, I started to get the post-con funk. Looking at the clock and seeing there was only a little bit left until the XH was closed I put my badge back on. The opening of the XH marks the start for me, and the closing marks the end. Finally the closing announcement came, accompanied by the cheers of worn out exhibitors. I left the hall, saying good-bye to GenCon 08.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home