Thursday, June 23, 2005

Movie Review: Serenity

First of all, no spoilers.

It's almost 1 am, and I just got home from a sneak preview of Serenity. I am too wired to sleep. Oh my effing gods! It was awesome. Granted, I am biased in favor of the source material, but then again I am a Star Wars fan. If Serenity had stayed in its original release slot, it would have been hurt by the marketting juggernaut that is the Star Wars franchise. But it would have been interesting for reviewers and viewers to see the two movies side by side. Sure, Star Wars has ILM special effects and CGI, but Serenity is a quality movie. It's shiny, to use the vernacular of the Firefly Universe.

Here's what I think made the difference. Watching Star Wars, you watch Ewan McGregor play Obi-Wan, Natalie Portman play Amidala, Grover and a Macintosh play Yoda... in Serenity you see Mal, Zoe and Wash. The characters are alive in Serenity, you not only forget they are actors, you care about them. You know how Star Wars will end... you don't know how Serenity will end. I can't go into more detail without spoiling. Also keep in mind that I saw a working print of the movie, not the polished final version.

Trust me, go see this movie when it comes out. Five times.

And 5 flying monkies for Serenity.

Another nice treat at our sneak preview was that Ron Glass, who plays Shepherd Book, was at our screening. He spoke to the audience before and after the screening and took questions from the audience.

1 Comments:

Blogger CeltiaSkye said...

You mean see it five times a day, right?

I think you nailed the differences between Serenity and SWIII. By the end of Revenge of the Sith I so didn't care that I would have been happy if Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme, and everyone else would have just fell into the lava and shut up!

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home