Friday, June 10, 2005

Scottish society

Most folks don't realize that Indianapolis has a Scottish society. Indy doesn't exactly bring cultural diversity to mind, especially amongst the "whites". Part of the problem, IMHO, is part society in general is becoming homogenized, especially amongst the younger generation where what music you listen to is more important than where your family comes from.

So I'm at this Scottish society meeting, having flashbacks to when I was young and my grandparents would take me to the restaurant where all of their friends ate. At least 2/3 if not 3/4 of the people there were older than me, mostly by a generation. But they were very friendly and welcoming to me, a first time visitor, so don't construe this as me making fun of them for their age (though old men with their kilts hitched up to their chests is funny). But it made me wonder, will groups like this exist when I'm their age? Without an influx of younger members and no impetus to celebrate cultural identity, will organizations like this fade out?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home