Saturday, June 14, 2008

MY code-fu is weak

So I've been messing with my lordoz.com site. I'm finally to the point where I can start writing content as opposed to messing with the bones of the site, partly because I'm tired of messing around with it.


I wasted a few hours messing with the banner graphic and getting it to line up with a background image for the contents column only to find out that the really cool effect only worked on monitors with the same resolution as my secondary monitor. I also spent a few hours dorking around with the general layout, because I always do the same three frames... banner on the top, contents on the left... zzzzz. But when I tried sticking contents under the banner across the top it hogged up to much vertical space. After trying contents on the right, which drove me bat-shit just looking at it, I relented for the same-old-same-old.

Still wanting to do something more than an eight-year-old with an HTML For Dummies book, I decided I wanted some cool mouse-over buttons. After fighting with flamingtext.com's mouse-over button maker, I decided to do it my self. That meant making two of each button in a fashion that looked right for the mouse-over effect, and finding the script. Flamingtext.com had a script generator, so I went through it, then spent another hour picking though things trying to find out why two of the buttons in the middle of the mess didn't work. Turns out the script generator got confused by apostrophes in the alternate text.

So now I'm finally ready to start putting together content. Which is good because my players would probably like to know the Oz-brew rules for 4e, not to mention stuff about the campaign world.

But it would be really cool if the mouse-over buttons made noise...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me know if you need a hand with anything. My services are cheap: beer. Hosting, content management, forum, blog (can import all content from this one), etc. Just let me know.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a button generator available at this site at http://cooltext.com which I think is better.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home