Sunday, October 14, 2007

Lone Wolf weekend

This time of the year always seems to be busy for me. This weekend had a Mavens meeting, an ex-girlfriend's wedding, and the Ohio Ren Faire. Busy, busy, busy.


I had originally hoped to have a date for the wedding. Going to a wedding stag pretty much sucks. I had hoped to have a date, but by the time I realized there was no way that was going to pan out it felt too late to find an alternate. I imagine that a couple of my female friends would have gone with me just so I wouldn't have to go alone, at least if I would have given enough lead time, but it didn't want to inconvenience someone just because they felt sorry for me. That and maybe I was subconsciously "punishing" myself for getting my hopes up in the first place.

As it turns out, I had a pretty good time, even though I was solo. Something I've learned that when in a place full of people I don't know, get a seat early. Sooner or later someone will sit at your table, and if you're reserved like me it's easier that way. I struck up a conversation with the cute young woman that sat next to me and we had a bit in common. Unfortunately, she turned out to be there with someone... her girlfriend. D'oh.

In fact, I felt kind of like the punchline for a CW sitcom... there were 3 couples at my table. Not only was I the only single person, I was also the only straight person. Cue the laugh track. However, the whole table was pagan, so we had a lot to talk about.

The second funniest moment of the night was when the father of the bride and the father of the groom had a dance-off to Johnny Cash. The funniest moment was when the bride walked back in and saw them... you could literally see her say "Oh My God."

One other "feel good" was when the bride complimented me on how much weight I had lost. In fact, I had to go digging in the back of my closet because the slacks I was going to wear turned out to be way too big now. Now I'm going to have to rifle through all of my "will probably never fit again" clothes and mothball my "at least I can breathe" clothes.

When I got home I checked my e-mail and found out that my friends had decided not to go to the Ren Faire. I already knew that some couldn't go, and one had to cancel because his daughter was in the hospital, and was considering seeing if the last of them wanted to car pool when I got the last cancellation. So I could either sulk at home today in front of the computer, or go ahead, garb up, and head out myself.

At least the weather was perfect, sunny and low 70s. I haven't checked my pictures yet, but I'm not holding my breath. Not only did my camera start acting wonky, at some point I touched the lens, so it had a fingerprint on it. Plus there's my whole difficulty in taking a picture that doesn't look like a bunch of people on crack during an earthquake. If any turn out decent, I'll post them separately. I didn't get any of the joust because that's when my camera decided it was done for the day, even if there was no low-battery indicator.

I left earlier than usual, because since I was by myself making the rounds didn't take as long. While some might think that's good, I missed the banter and ambling into shops I wouldn't normally because someone else in the group wanted to look there.

On fact, my own shopping missions were failures. I had to goals, to get a torc and to get a tunic for when my tribe starts working with the Norse pantheon. I would have thought these would have been slam-dunks. Not so much. No torcs, no tunics. And my favorite sword place was low on stock, so I couldn't even drool much there.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home