Sunday, September 30, 2007

TV - Fall 07

Yay! The new season has begun, with a slew of new shows and a couple of returning favorites.

Heroes goes into the second season with all sorts of interesting potential. I'll avoid any spoilers, but although less has changed than one might have imagined, the new developments are interesting. And I love the scene where HRG has to deal with his prick of a manager. A lot of us have had a boss like that at one point or another and would have loved to have done the same thing.

Smallville started season seven with what felt more like the gasps of a dying show. I am not pleased with this Supergirl crap and her prominent featuring in the opening titles makes me wonder if they are trying to transition the show from being about Clark to being about her. And LOis Lane has to be the most clueless person on the planet... at least Lex has the excuse of insanity.


As for new shows that I'm giving a go...

Chuck. Brilliant! At least one of the writers works in electronics retail. Co-workers that have watched the show have all seen people they "recognize". While the premise seems shaky, everything else makes up for it. And for the win, picture Jayne (from Firefly) having to work undercover at Best Buy... and he can't kill anyone.

Journeyman. Some critics have panned it. I liked it and it is on my viewing list. Then again, I dig good time travel stories, and critics that grouse about it being "confusing" are too used to reality tv and comedies that pander to the lowest common denominator. I liked the protagonist (Kevin McKidd - Lucius Vorena from Rome) and feel sorry for his character... this time travel stuff isn't fun and games and is messing up his life, and Moon Bloodgood is teh hawt.

Bionic Woman. Not overly impressed with this show. I'll give it another episode or two and see how it goes. One of the things that I don't like is that they went off the deep end with the uber-tech... instead of having true bionic limbs, they use nanites (under a different name) to explain the bionics and give her a healing factor. And Katee Sackoff (Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica) has been typecast as a crazy cybernetic badass bitch... as the rogue original bionic woman here, and as Starbuck, who pretty much has to be a Cylon.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger KNH said...

We had a TiVo keyword for season premieres in HD. Chuck and Journeyman made it onto the permanent list; Bionic Woman was disappointing as expected. When one's standards are already low from critic's reviews, and the show still stinks, that's a sign.

I'm looking forward to Friday Nights Lights, but worried because the network keeps stealing their peeps to try to save Bionic Woman from sucking. Yeah, good luck with that.

I also get an F minus on my nerdy quotient; I recognized Jayne but couldn't figure out why! I use his superior acting skill as my excuse.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home