Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Wal-Mart to sell Jesus

Wal-Mart is adding religious toys and action figures to over 400 stores. What Would Jesus Buy?

The actual article is here.

As much as I like to poke sticks at Wal-Mart and Fundies, this is nothing benevolent or malign. Wal-Mart will sell these toys at their top Bible selling stores because they expect to make money. Since it's a niche market with no real competition, this stuff will probably have a much better profit margin than conventional toys, where they have to go head to head with the likes of Target and Toys R Us.

And if Baby Jesus doesn't make any revenue for the Evil Empire, he'll be cleaned off the shelf for the next hot toy... like Hell Kitty!

I am kind of curious how Christians feel about toys based on their religious figures being sold. I know that if I saw a Gofannon's Smithy playset I would probably buy it in a heart-beat and claim it was for my cousin's nephew, but I'm pretty thick-skinned when it comes to my faith. I know some folks are more sensitive and might even consider it sacrilegious (though I doubt any of those folks are among my readers).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home