Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Star Wars d20 - Saga Edition


Wizards of the Coast finally released their latest update to the Star Wars Role-playing Game. We've been hearing that they were going to change the system some, but still keep it d20.

When Jason brought me my copy, there was one thing that I noticed right away. The book was square.

I actually thought that was going to mess with me more than it did, but I had to wonder, why the heck did they make it square? Surely this custom print set-up didn't help the cost of the book. I was also a little concerned because it seemed thinner than the previous edition.

It turns out that the new system is more compact. Things like prestige classes don't take up much space, stat blocks are simpler, and there was more meat per page overall.

WotC moved away from their Open License d20, probably for two reasons. One was because ever since they introduced the OGL (Open Gaming License), d20 companies have been popping up (and most failing) left and right. And a few have gotten more attention and acclaim than WotC. So now, this new iteration of the d20 system totally belongs to them.

The second... say "Open License" and "George Lucas" in the same sentence with a straight face.

While I haven't put the system in a live test yet, I have monkeyed around with character rules some. Overall, I think I like it, and I see ways to adapt the system to other settings. Adapting the Modern d20 system would be extremely easy, as SW: Saga d20 draws heavily on that framework (not that anyone else has used Modern d20 as the basis for a Star Wars game). Other elements that have appeared as alternate rules in Unearthed Arcana by WotC, and Green Ronin's True20 system.

Of course, I've already done my first tinkering. In the new system, a lot of skills have been condensed. For example, Spot, Search and Listen all fall under Perception. But they left Swim, Climb and Jump as individual skills. I am combining them under Athletics.

Once we see the game in action, I'm sure I'll have more opinions.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home