Sunday, October 22, 2006

Hello

I decided the check out digg.com after my friend Nicole mentioned it in her blog. One of the first stories I found led to a page listing how to say "hello" in 800 different languages.

Including 14 dialects of English.

Being a bit of a language geek, I couldn't resist. There are tons of obscure languages and dialects. Did you know there was an Irish language called Brigidian? Want to find any native North, Central, or South American languages? Look here.

And I think I discovered the language that inspired George Lucas when writing Jar-Jar's dialogue. It's called Kriol, from northern Australia.

"Where are you coming from?" = "Wijei yu bin kaman?"
"Where are you(plural) coming from?" = "Wijei yumob bin kaman?"

The site also has other words and phrases from various languages.

Until later... mahaha dinn (good-bye in Brigidian).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will soon be time for phase 2 of your Digg experience -- the Diggnation podcast. Nicole and I sit back, have a couple of beers, and watch the newest episode each week.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mahaha dinn (good-bye in Brigidian) where did you learn that this is good bye? or even that Brigidian is a dialect of éire? please mail back at mise@huhmail.com

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mise@hushmail.com

please note the error in my previous post i was missing the s!

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home