Monday, April 24, 2006

Yard work should be against my religion

I'm a druid, so plants should be sacred right? OK, I don't buy that either. But in addition to my innate laziness and disdain for rote physical activities, I'm allergic to trees and grass. Which means mowing the yard is loads of fun.

And by loads of fun, I means the standard hayfever symptoms, then within 30 - 60 minutes the shakes. As long as I don't break out in hives, all I have to do is wait it out.

So I try to do my yard work as quickly as possible, and I usually only get the mowing and trimming down. I need to do a crap load of pruning and mulching. And I try to do my yard work early before they come out.

They, as in the armed insects. I have an almost borderline phobia of anything with a stinger. So I try to mow before it warms up enough for those buzzing bastards to emerge and make yard work even more hellish.

I need to find out if the kid that did my yard a couple of years ago is still doing landscaping stuff. Now that I've bumped off a few bills, I could splurge a little.

3 Comments:

Blogger CeltiaSkye said...

I knew you had allergies but I didn't realize they were that serious. Have you tried any sort of treatment?

7:22 PM  
Blogger Oz said...

I used to take weekly shots for them for four years. It's usually not bad, just like hayfever and such, and I haven't had a serious hives reaction in years.

But they always start on my arms where I used to get my shots, so it's easy to tell. And better than when I was in high school... the first sign of an attack was that my lower lip would swell up. As if I wasn't awkward enough =O

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar dilema. I am extremely allergic to mosquitos, as you might remember, but I also burn very easily (even more so after the chemo). So I either get burnt or stung, and neither is very pleasant. I haven't yet found a sunblock that lasts more than an hour on me, or a repellent that works worth a darn.

I belong in a concrete jungle with potted plants.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home