Thursday, April 23, 2009

4e familiars = MMO pets

So I picked up Arcane Power yesterday and skimmed through it. One of the things I was really curious about was how they would do familiars in 4e.

If you've played a pet controlling character in an MMO, some of the familiar mechanics will sound, well, familiar. Familiars are no longer real creatures, they are spirits. They have two modes, active and passive, and if they get too far from their master they teleport back to their master and go into passive mode. If it dies it reappears after you rest.


While I like the way they handle familiar benefits, the video-gameness of them is still rubbing me wrong. I'll have to chew on it for my campaign.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Jacobs said...

interesting. in my review on Arcane Power its one of the things I definately liked the most about the new familiars: the familiars are spirit constructs angle. Humunculus, mechanical clockwork owls, book demons -- seems to fit the bill. I guess it depends on where you are coming from, I haven't played WoW in about 2 years (thank god I escaped!) so... it wasn't the first thing that came to mind. thanks for the different perspective.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I liked the old rules for familiars. They felt like real, thinking creatures, not constructs. I usually gave control of my familiar over to my Dm, so I could interact with them more easily. If I wanted a humunculus, I would have made one.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home