Saturday, March 28, 2009

Global Warming isn't new

While researching for my marvel 1941 campaign I stumbled across Modern Mechanix, one of a multitude of interesting sites that look at how we used to view technology and the future.

Ths article caught my eye. Looks like in the late 50's some people were blaming atomic bombs for changing climate and this article refutes that theory.

Maybe Al Gore should read it?

Now don't get me wrong, I think we should avoid polluting where possible. But I'm not going to live on a compost heap in a hippie commune eating organic grass-trimming to do so. I'm in favor of hybrid cars and wind energy. One of the negative side effects of gas prices going down is that the sales of hybrids plummeted and SUVs rose again.

But I also tire of the self-righteousness of many in the Green Movement, not to mention the hypocrisy (is that a hybrid jet, Al?). The climate is changing, but it is not all due to us. I think we should do what we can to mitigate our impact, but I'm not going to become Amish. But I won't join those who hate eco-friendly ideas just because they come from the left. And we need to get off the oil. We won't because the oil companies have too much money in Washington, so they don't care if we are beholden to foreign powers for 70% of our oil because we pay them for the other 30%. Highest profiting company? Exxon. Bet they don't want to see us go solar/wind/nuclear.

And yes, in Ozzistan we'd use nuclear power, along with green means. Nuclear power is safe enough. Hybrid cars until full electric becomes practical. Improved recycling, nature preserves, green buffers, reduced industrial emissions all would play a part in Ozzistan's ecological policy.

What the hell did I start off talking about?

Labels: , ,


Blogger Jeff9 said...

Save money and the Earth and be clean at the same time! Get serious and add Bathroom Bidet Sprayers to all your bathrooms. I think Dr. Oz on Oprah said it best: "if you had pee or poop on your hand, you wouldn't wipe it off with paper, would you? You'd wash it off” Available at with these you won't even need toilet paper any more, just a towel to dry off! Don’t worry, you can still leave some out for guests and can even make it the soft stuff without felling guilty. It's cheap and can be installed without a plumber; and runs off the same water line to your toilet. You'll probably pay for it in a few months of toilet paper savings. And after using one of these you won't know how you lasted all those years with wadded up handfuls of toilet paper. As for water use a drought is always a concern and must be dealt with prudently but please remember that in the big picture the industrial water users always far exceed the water use of household users and in the case of toilet paper manufacture it is huge. The pollution and significant power use from that manufacturing process also contributes to global warming so switching to a hand bidet sprayer and lowering your toilet paper use is very green in multiple ways.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home