Sunday, September 07, 2008

Oktoberfest in September?

Yesterday I decided to go to Oktoberfest. I had been kicking around the idea and even though things like this aren't as fun by myself it's better than lurking in the den hunkered down in front of a computer. Plus I'm half German and there's beer.

So I hopped on the train and headed down to the fairgrounds, visions of a feeding frenzy sure to wreck my diet for the next week in my mind. I remembered my experiences with Indy Irish Fest and expected something similar.

A bratwurst and 2/3 a pretzel doesn't exactly constitute a feeding frenzy.


It was much smaller than I expected. Plus my appetite was much smaller than it used to be, so even though I was really hungry by the time I got there I ran out of steam without being able to finish my huge pretzel. I could have done the whole thing in an hour, but given the train schedule I had 3 hours to kill.

There was a German band inside the main building and local bands in the tent outside. The German band was literally a band, something like 20 instruments and as near as I could tell the local bands had nothing to do with being German (unless 70s and 80s covers are really big in Germany).

The outside area looked like leftovers from the State Fair with a few rides, a few food trailers and a few games. There was a reminder of why I don't trust carnival rides when I saw a couple of carnies ran by and I watched them rush to a ride that was spewing hydraulic fluid and the kids on it were stuck.

But at leat there was beer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home