Saturday, May 19, 2007

Why we should be afraid of the Religious Right

Speaking at Liberty University following Jerry Fallwell's death, Newt Gingrich had this to say:

"I think anybody on the left who hopes that when people like Reverend Falwell disappear that the opportunity to convert all of America has gone with them fundamentally misunderstands why institutions like this were created," Gingrich said.

That is the problem with the Religious Reich. They are against freedom of religion because they think everyone should be their religion. And while some Christians may be nodding their heads, think on this: which denomination?



When I was a staunch atheist in high school and a group of my classmates set about trying to convert me, all I had to do was throw something out that they differed on and soon they were too busy arguing which version of Christianity was "right" and forgot about non-believer me.

History is full of examples why intertwining religion and government is a horrible, horrible idea. Plus the Religious Right has a total lack of respect for individual's rights because they believe that their religion should be imposed on everyone and they want to use the goverment as a tool to do so.

I don't want to be converted, thank you very much.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home