Saturday, February 25, 2006

The guantlet has been thrown

The Religious Right has thrown the abortion guantlet. South Dakota passed a law outlawing all abortions except to save the life of the mother in an effort to get Roe vs. Wade overturned now that there are more Conservative Nazghuls on the Supreme Court.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion reflected on a really great bumper sticker: "If you are against abortion, don't have one."

But the RR has to be in everyone's business. Instead of using the money for education to help prevent unwanted pregnancies and support for women in the crisis of an unwanted pregnancy, they'd rather use the government to legislate religion, keep out things like emergency contraceptives like the morning after pill and drive abortion to back alley clinics.

I don't think this will end up as they hope, though. The law allows no provision for cases of rape or incest victims.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Supremes will gun this one down. They may be mor conservative now, but not that crazy...I think...

9:02 PM  
Blogger KNH said...

Well, I have to agree with you that the law is not well written. However, I disagree with the "if you're against abortion, don't have one" sentiment: should we apply that logic to all laws? If I'm against stealing, I shouldn't steal, but I should allow others to do it?

I also agree that more money needs to be funneled into education and prevention. I think our American culture is in a downard spiral.

I had a roommate in college who had an abortion (she was over four months pregnant) within 18 hours of discovering the pregnancy. There is no excuse for being so hasty with a decision that will change one's life- either way- so quickly. Either way she decided was going to have a lasting effect, and she was haunted later by her hastiness.

Also, as a person with fertility issues, it makes me really angry that people discard this very special gift.

True morality cannot be legislated, but we can be more thoughtful about our decisions and educate people better.

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home