Saturday, December 10, 2005

Big Box Mart

How can I pass up a jab at Wal-Mart?

I used to be a Wal-Mart customer, seduced by the siren song of low prices and one stop convenience. Then one day I really thought about what I had read and heard and I decided to stop shopping there. Sure, the few dollars I used to spend there won't be noticed missing, but hopefully if enough people shop with a conscience it will have an effect. Give the defensive PR game Wally-world has been playing recently, it already has.

Everytime Wal-Mart claims to be family friendly, I laugh. More than half the kids of Wal-Mart employees are on government aid. And who takes care of these kids while the employees are there overnight? And what about all of the families put out of work because of the companies Wal-Mart drives out of business or overseas?

Speaking of overnight, I don't think any big box retailer should be open 24 hours. It's ridiculous, and it's disruptive to families. Part of me thinks there should be a law, like the blue laws, requiring stores over x square footage to be closed at least 8 hours. Then the rest of me reminds me I hate blue laws and government intrusion.

Gorram it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home