Friday, March 31, 2006

Great job... now you're fired!

I'm not fired (yet) and probably won't be, but there is more than a little tension at work. The company I work for announced record earnings and major increases in revenue and profit, then in the same memo said that the company would be restructuring to "capitalize on efficiencies". That's corporatese for some folks are losing their jobs. Word on the street was that they were looking at a 5% reduction. This is our reward for busting our asses through Christmas... it showed them they could run stores on less manpower and still get results.

What they don't realize is that kind of "adrenaline" only carries the work force so far. If they make cuts at the line level, it will come back to bite them in the ass.

Right now, it looks almost certain we'll be losing manager spots in each store.

Good thing I got out of management when I did.

I shouldn't have to worry. I'm the best there is at my discipline in the market. They can't eliminate my department. But they can change things, and folks I know and work with may be impacted.

On top of this we have Physical Inventory (we count 110,000 pieces) on Sunday, some other projects that came down the pike, people quitting, gettting fired, or calling in sick, and a nice sinus/stress headache over my right eye.

If only there was some magical liquid that could make me forget... mmmmm, beer.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like more than beer is called for, my friend. How about tequilla - or Hot Damn!

Ok, so your friends get fired from a job they don't love at a company they don't love. Sometimes the universe has to push you where you willingly won't go on your own...

As for the shirts, patience gives its own rewards. I've seen this thing many, many times in my profession and survived them all. It's cyclical. They will come around. Not in time to save the best people they have now from going to other companies, but they will come around. The Dilbert Principle in action, my friend.

If only we weren't so darn smart...

Cheers!

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooner or later those Jackholes will either learn, or they will pay. It's up to them to decide which, and when. Til then, keep the faith, and trust your friends; they won't fail you.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home